Tuesday, September 05, 2006

First day of teaching

Today was the first day of school, well, at least for me. The students have been in school since Friday (so this is technically day three) but for me it was the first time that I had them alone. As they entered into the classroom I could not tell who was more frightened, the students or myself. I had my lesson planned, even with back up activities and everything, the seating arrangements were made so that I knew where each child would be sitting, but a slight )ok, slight may be an understatement) feeling of apprehension lingered. Questions and thought shot through my mind: What if none of them know English? What if I lose complete control? What if I have a cryer, or even worse, a pee-er? What if they get bored? What if all of them have ADD?

As they came into the class I could tell that they were a bit timid. I approached each of them, got their English name (since there is not way I can remember their Chinese names) and showed them their seats. There was one girl who came in with tears and she was supposed to be in another teacher’s class, but she was scared and wanted to be with my class, so I sat here down with her friends and the crying ceased (boy was I relieved). One by one they began to be seated, and each of the looked up to me wide-eyed wondering who I was and what the heck I was doing. I took a deep breath and the first class began.

The first class was only an hour, and the hour flew by. Surprisingly the kids knew more than I thought… in fact, I was shocked to know that some of them could write their names (trust me, this is huge). I spoke, and they listened. I asked questions, and they answered with enthusiasm. This is not to say that I did not get the ever so common look that basically screams out “What are you talking about”. I also had the roamers, the kids that couldn’t keep their hands off each other, the students that are “too smart” and yell out every answer, the kids that are quiet, but answer when I ask them questions, my ever so favorite kids that pull the shapes that I have taped to the desk to designate seats... When the hour was over, the chairs were put away, the crayons were put in the baskets and placed on their shelves, and their pictures were placed in a pile, and I realized that I will be able to survive this year.

No comments: