Saturday, March 29, 2008

Yaks, yaks, and more yaks

I remember when my friend went to Russia and I saw her pictures of yaks and how jealous I became. How cool was it that she got to see a real yak (and not at teh SD Zoo). Well, travelling in Yunnan province (southwest China) I have not seen yaks, but yak is a common product on the menu. I apologize in advance for any vegetarians that are reading this or people who are anti-yak eating. Anyways, moving on, the first day my friend and I were in Lijinag we say "Yak on a Stick" and had to order it. I must admit, it was not that bad. Then for Easter, while the rest of the world is searching for eggs and eating ham or lamb, we we dining on all sorts of yak products. A guy who worked at the guesthouse we were staying at took us to a local restaurant and ordered for us. What apeared before us was a smogesborg (know I spelled that wrong) of yak products. We had fried yak meat, a yak butter-chesse type dip (think of blue cheese made from yak milk), yak milk tea, and to top it off (and Idid not realize this was what it was and truthfully did not eat much of it) a glutonous rice thing with yak blood (apparently the Brits call it Black Pudding but don't make theirs from yak blood). The food was not horrible, but my favorite dish was the local vegetables. This will defintitely be an Easter meal I will not forget.

No comments: