Sunday, September 30, 2007

The wedding

As I have mentioned before, one of the hardest things about being in China is being so far away from everyone and everything back home. The internet and the phone makes being away so much easier, but it doesn't make going to events any easier. This past month was my friend's wedding in which I was a bridesmaid. This is a wedding that I have been anticipating for a long time so there was no question that even though I am in China I would make it back. For whatever reason I really didn't take into consideration how far I really am from Los Angeles and that I would be taking off a week of work during the fourth week of school, which for those who teach know the beginning of the year is crazy. As the date got closer to the wedding and things got crazier for me at school I really started to doubt if deciding to go back was the right decision, but then again, how do you tell one of your best friends that? And so I was torn. I realized that once again I hadn't thought through what I really committed myself too. However, as much as I wanted to take the easy way out and not go, I knew that I would regret not watching my friend walk down the aisle. And so I went.

It was a crazy five days starting with the moment I landed I had to get my dress altered and find shoes and help with getting wedding stuff. It was difficult being in Orange County, so close to home, but not being able to see everyone. And I admit, it was a bit stressful. Even while I was there I questioned if I made the right decision and whether or not it was worth it because of some of the drama that went on and the fact that I flew across the world to spend most of my time running errands.

Well, as soon as the day arrived all the questioning that I had went away. Seeing Jen in her dress and Tim in his tux made me realize that I would have regretted not being able to see them get married. As the wedding began and I walked down the aisle, I could not have been happier and then, when Jen walked down the aisle to meet Tim and exchange vows I realized that nothing could have made me miss them getting married. The wedding was a blast and when everything was said and done, there was a lot of drama and it was not easy for me to get out to the wedding, but it was worth it.

I learned a lot through this experience. I have learned that I need to look into what I am committing myself to when I travel back home and that it is not just a cross country flight but rather a cross world flight. I have learned that making sub plans for a week and having to come back to work after having a sub can be a mess. But, most importantly, I have learned that there are somethings that are worth the hassle.






1 comment:

Turner Family said...

Looks like you had fun...despite the LOOOOOOOOONG traveling experience. I can't even imagine that. Jen looks gorgeous and so happy. Sorry I haven't been able to talk. It's been a crazy week with moving, work, etc. I will try calling you tomorrow night or you can call me. Miss you!