Friday, July 25, 2008

Zi Jian

Zi ji what?!? you may be asking... Zi Jian is the word for "good bye" in Chinese. After two years, well, just two weeks shy of two years, it has come time to say good bye to China. Almost everyone who comes to China knows that this time will approach at some point, it is just a matter of when. Just over two years ago I was living a normal life in San Diego till I found that some friends from college were coming to China. Wanting to get out of the monotony of my office life, I jumped on the opportunity to live, teach, and travel in China (and Asia Pacific). Little did I know that I would end up switching to working at a British International School and staying for two years. Looking back at how nervous and anxious I was just 24 hours before I stepped on the plane two years, I realize that the anxiousness was a waste. Sure, two years ago I had no idea what life in China would be like, what opportunities would open up, the friends I would make, the amazing experiences I would have, the sights I would see, the amazing memories that would be created... and so now I feel foolish for having been nervous and anxious about coming to China for what might be the best two years of my life.

I am not going to deny that living in China has had its challenges and frustrations, but it is through these times of trials that I have grown to really appreciate China and my life here. There is plenty in China that I will NOT miss, but at the same time, it is also these things that I may grow to miss when I resume living back in San Diego. China is a crazy place and they are undergoing a lot of huge, positive changes, and I feel blessed to have been able to live here these past two years. I have drawn up lists before about things I like and things that drive me absolutely nuts about China, but this, seeing as I fly out in less than 48 hours, will be the last list.

Spitting... The truth is, the Chinese love to do it. They spit on the street, in elevators, subways, and anywhere and everywhere. I have seen kids do it as well as old ladies without any shame. Probably not gonna miss it, but it is definitely one of those things that constantly reminds me that yes, I am still in China.

Splitty pants... These are absolutely hilarious, till the parent/grandparent allows the child to pee on the street. But, what is funnier than having lots of little bottoms sticking out of kid's pants?

Meat on a stick (as well as street noodles)... Definitely going to miss the plethora of street food that abounds at all hours of the night. Thankfully I have not gotten sick from it, which is probably why I will miss it. Nothing beats ordering an unidentifiable meat cooked on the back of someone's bike at 2 am (is it lamb? beef? cat? dog?). I do have my two regular spots for getting the street food and I will honestly miss both of them.

Crazy street traffic and taxis and running... Sure the crazy drivers and over populated streets make running a bit difficult, but it also makes it fun at the same time. Running in the streets proposes many difficulties as drivers and bikers go down the wrong side of the road, construction sites are everywhere with road hazards at just about every step, but once again, makes life a bit more interesting and keeps me on my toes. I also will always be amazed at how drivers can sense when a car will pull out in front of them and cut them off, avoiding accidents.

Pollution... Not a fan, but really allows one to appreciate the days when the blue sky pokes it head through the usual brownish haze.

Holidays... The BEST part of living here. Teaching in China means lots of time off. Lots of time off means lots of time to travel. Nothing beats getting out of Shanghai to explore the country or other areas of Asia Pacific. Places I have been: Beijing, Xi'An, Yangshou, Hong Kong, all over Yunnan Province, Huang Shan, Hangzhou, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam...

Hashes... What?!? you may ask? The Hash is a running group that takes runs in the Shanghai countryside. Yes, there is a Hash in San Diego, but I love running in rural China through villages and farm land. It is interesting to see the contrast of the ever-growing Shanghai to the rural countryside.

Hmmm... what else? There really are lots of things I will miss about China and the list can go on and on, but I do feel that I have spent enough time here and that I am ready to go back home. Here are questions I have had...

Will I return to China? I have no idea. I really had no idea that I would spend two years here, so I cannot answer that questions. Who knows what life will deal me.

Will I get bored with life in the States? Once again, I have no idea. I have had a blast living abroad, but I also know that my roots are in San Diego and it is where I will always call home, no matter where I am. Sure, I am more open to what other parts of the world has to offer and open to living abroad again, but the reality is I miss San Diego and my friends and family and the beach and the normalcy of life there. Will I live there forever? I have no idea, but I do know it is where I am to be this next year.

Will I miss China? Parts yes, parts no. Will I regret having come here? Definitely not.

And so, in less that 48 hours I will step on the plane and saying "Zi jian Zhonguo" (Goodbye China). One thing is certain, it's been a great two years!

No comments: