Thursday, July 26, 2007

My time in China continues

I went into my teaching as a one year deal. I figured I could do something new, travel, and take a break for a little while. As I rolled into June I was planning on returning to San Diego and getting back to my "normal" life. Well, those who know me, know that "normal" doesn't always happen with me. Two weeks before the year was over I was offered a job to teach at the British School of Shanghai (BISS). I will be teaching Reception, which is basically Kindergarten. To be honest I am shocked that I took the position. There has been a lot of things this past year in China that made me questions why I came and things that I really don't like. Everyone asks me if I love China, and the answer is not really, but I do love the person that I have become through the experience. I love being able to meet new people and learn about new cultures. I love the confidence that I have gained and the curiosity to travel that I have acquired. There are things like not having the beach around and my friends and family and open areas and smoggy air and dirty streets that I do not like, but there are things that I do like, that I don't even comprehend. This next year will be tough. I will be living in the city and will have to commute from work, but living in the city will allow me to do more things and get involved in the Expat scene and hopefully join a soccer team, or two.

So my blog will continue for one more year. I am not sure what craziness I will get into and what adventures await me, but I am excited. Right now I am in San Diego and it is so good to see my family and friends. I am truly blessed to have the people in my life that I do. I have learned the value of relationships and that you should never burn bridges. Sure I will miss everyone when I leave and honestly I am not excited to have to leave, but I am excited for this opportunity to teach again and I know that there are reasons for this door to have been opened to me, even if I do not know the reasons now.

No comments: