Saturday, April 07, 2007

Playtime

Today was one of those unusual days where it was actually warm and sunny. I have learned to fully appreciate these days in Shanghai because unlike San Diego, they are not too common. Well, supposedly as Spring approaches the weather will get nicer, but needless to say today was gorgeous. I decided that I would go out for a run this morning and put my running stuff on and headed out. As I walked by the playground about to start my run I saw two of my kids and said hello. What was meant to be a quick "hello" ended up with me playing soccer with them. It was so much fun kicking and running and just playing. Soon another one of my boys cam and I played with the three of them. Since the Living Quarters is for employees many of my students live here. As I was playing more and more kids came out. Some were my students and some were not but they just knew me from around school. I wasn't quite sure what the parents of my kids thought about me chasing and running and throwing their kids since i am their teacher, but no one seemed to mine. I ended up just playing for over two hours.

I forgot about how much fun it is to be a kid. To have no worries and to be able to run and fall and get up again. To be able to laugh and smile and just enjoy life. I am not sure who had more fun, the kids or myself? I never did get to my run because by the time I left the kids it was time for lunch and I was hungry. But playing was so great. I wish I could play like that with my kids everyday, but at school I do have to teach them, so everyday can't be a play day, but I do love the time I can play with them, at school and out of school.

No comments: